Monday, October 15, 2012

Gospel Music...

My grandmother regularly played gospel music when I was growing up in Newark, New Jersey. As a matter of fact, she wouldn't allow secular music to be played in the house on Sundays. Thus we all grew up listening to any number of gospel greats.

When I became a musician, I refused to listen to gospel. REFUSED IT, REFUSED IT, REFUSED IT!

To me it sounded like these people were screaming and hollering and making unnecessary noise. Nonetheless, I listened to the church choir religiously at Greater Welcome Baptist Church.

I preferred MoTown and jazz...those songs were exciting. More important, these songs caused an almost reflex action in your body that made you want to move.

Last night, I visited the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, NY to see a concert billed as the King's Men Tour, featuring Kirk Franklin, Donnie McClurkin, Marvin Sapp and Israel Houghton.

It was outstanding!

For a person not too keen on gospel, I was amazed at the musicianship and craft displayed by everyone on the stage. For a short moment, I got chills while listening to Sapp sing, "Never Would've Made It."

Simply amazing...and simply astonished that gospel music had changed. This ain't your grandparent's gospel.

This music is challenging, moving, inspiring, motivating and more. Better still, they give recognition to God. After hearing this music, there is no doubt that there is some force that anoints these musicians which such a gift...AND it made me re-think my skills as a musician.

I am humbled by their skill and I have a long way to go. This makes me feel good, because that means there is so much more to learn musically...I intend to learn it.

As stated at the King's Men Tour concert: May the rest of my life be the best days of my life.

Here's to learning and growing!!

Until next Monday....

No comments:

Post a Comment